Overview of Position:
The Kentucky Small Business Development Center (KSBDC) provides essential consulting and training services that help existing business owners and potential entrepreneurs succeed. Services that the candidate will be responsible for include one-on-one management consultations, training workshops, market research, loan packaging help, assistance with financial projections and information needed to make informed business decisions.
The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is housed on the 3rd floor of the Commerce Center in Owensboro, Kentucky and is now administered by the University of Kentucky in partnership with The Greater Owensboro Economic Development Corporation (GOEDC).
The position will report to the KSBDC State Office and partnership leadership (GOEDC) President/CEO, Brittaney Johnson. The full-time position will pay $34.00/hour. Benefits offered for the position include health, vision, and dental insurance coverage at the UK Employee staff rates, 403b retirement plan (without employer contribution as a STEPS Employee), and area UK employee discounts. Travel costs are reimbursable per University of Kentucky guidelines as well.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Helping entrepreneurs with overall business plan development and strategy.
• Helping entrepreneurs develop business strategies and mitigate risks around new products, services, and/or processes.
• Perform training workshops on a consistent basis.
• Coaching entrepreneurs through launching new businesses and growing or diversifying mature businesses.
• Consulting on topics such as exporting, product development, raising capital, and federal contracting.
• Connecting clients to key resources for technical and financial support.
• Facilitating sessions to help entrepreneurs develop appropriate business models, business plans, financial projections, cash flow models, marketing plans, loan packaging, core processes, and customer relationships.
• Conducting market research and competitive analysis.
• Identifying and contacting small and medium-sized businesses, assessing their needs, and proposing and delivering solutions to enhance and expand their businesses.
• Keeping up to date with current entrepreneurial trends, market opportunities and skills training. Possess an understanding of the entrepreneurial mind-set and the role entrepreneurial skills play in economic development.
• Delivering various services as required associated with federal programs and awards.
• Collaborating with other units of the host organization, the Kentucky SBDC and other Kentucky SBDC locations, partners, chambers of commerce, local economic development agencies and lenders.
• Building and maintaining close professional relationships with small businesses throughout Kentucky. Must be able to work collaboratively and effectively with partner organizations, including hosts, state and federal resource partners.
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience as entrepreneurs, in small start-up settings, or with experience advising new businesses through the startup process.
• Contact small business to primarily promote the services of the Kentucky Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
• Identify market opportunities and assist in the development of business strategies.
• Develop new services based on demonstrated client need.
• Maintain current records of client firms, proposals, project status, and timesheets using a PC-based customer relationship
• Participate in meetings and events of small businesses in the areas served.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or other appropriate field of study is required.
• Experience: Five years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience in banking, business administration, industrial or labor relations, journalism or communications, demographic, economic, market or development research or planning; or in the ownership/ operation of a business enterprise.
• Substitution: A Master’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in accounting, banking, business administration, economics, finance, fine arts, journalism, management, planning, labor or industrial relations, or human resource management may substitute for one year of the required experience.
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience as entrepreneurs, in small start-up settings, or with experience advising start-up entrepreneurs
Qualifications and Personal Attributes:
• Demonstrated understanding of how entrepreneurship and related activities serve to strengthen and grow Kentucky’s economy
• Must be a highly motivated self-starter who works well in an independent setting.
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively.
• Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Ability to manage projects effectively.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products with emphasis on Excel.
• Ability to travel with a valid driver’s license.
• This position is considered CARES Act: Not required on campus and has the ability to telework remotely for the duration of the University of Kentucky’s response to COVID-19. An employee hired into this role may be responsible for providing space, printing, networking and/or internet capabilities at the telecommute location.
How to Apply:
To be considered for the position, please submit a cover letter and resume via the application link on the job posting site by clicking here. Applications are due by June 3, 2020.