One Stop Permitting

Where to find the following information

Business License

Information on state licenses and permits can be found at the bottom of this page.

Business License (City and County Form), Info: (270) 687-8530

Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) License (File through state of Kentucky)

New or Existing Building

Planning & Zoning (270) 687-8650

Building & Electrical Permit (270) 687-8661

Electrical Inspection (270) 687-8537

Fire Inspection (270) 687-8404 Building Inspection (270) 687-8665

Local Utility Information

Owensboro Municipal Utilities

2070 Tamarack Road – (270)926-3200 Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday

Services: OMU is a residential and commercial electric and water utilities as well as fiber optic services. OMU also handles the sign-ups for sewer and sanitation in Owensboro.

Conditions/Requirements to obtain service(s): Must be located in the OMU service area.  The following will be required for service:  Valid picture I.D., proof of property ownership, letter of credit from previous utility

Fee(s) required to obtain service: Per meter connection fee with deposit required for leased building or residence.

Kenergy Corp.

Services: Electricity

Applying for Service

Forms and Guides

Regional Water Resource Agency (RWRA)

Administration Building: 1722 Pleasant Valley Road Owensboro, KY 42303, (270)687-8440 Permitting/Engineering: 2101 Grimes Avenue Owensboro, KY 42302, (270)687-8452 Hours: 8 AM to 5 PM,  Monday – Friday

Services: comprehensive wastewater collection, treatment and transmission services. Sewer connection permits are issued at 2101 Grimes Avenue (Joseph Murphy Building). Industrial discharge permits issued at 1722 Pleasant Valley Road Fee(s) required to obtain service: Sewer connection costs vary, depending upon location, use and type of discharge. Information must be obtained at 2101 Grimes Avenue for specific connection costs. There are no costs involved in obtaining an industrial wastewater discharge permit.

City of Owensboro

101 East Fourth Street P.O. Box 10003 Owensboro, KY 42302-9003 Phone: (270) 687-8534 Hours: 8 AM to 5 PM,  Monday – Friday

Services: City and/or County business license Conditions/Requirements to obtain service: Business location must first be approved by Planning and Zoning before license can be obtained. Fee(s) required to obtain service: Fees are based on type of occupations.


3201 Old Hartford Road (This is the work center. There is no local business office.) Phone:  Business service toll-free in Kentucky: 1-866-620-6000 Business service toll-free outside Kentucky: 1-800-947-8398 Corporate & External Affairs: (270) 926-2737 Hours: 8 AM — 5 PM, Monday – Saturday

Services: Local residence and business connections, e-commerce services, Web design and hosting, dedicated and dial-up Internet access, digital and data services, wireless communications and local long distance. Conditions/Requirements to obtain service: Services can be obtained over the telephone or by Internet. Basic credit information — source of income, social security number, etc. — is required to determine if a deposit is necessary. Fee(s) required to obtain service: Installation fees and monthly recurring charges are based upon the service ordered. Billing arrangements can be made for the one-time charges.

Atmos Energy

3275 Highland Pointe Drive Phone: (270) 685-8024 Customer Service, 24 hours a day – 1-888-286-6700 Hours: 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday — Friday

Services: Natural gas Conditions/Requirements to obtain service:  Social security number

Owensboro Metropolitan Planning Commission

200 E. Third Street P.O. Box 732 Owensboro, KY 42302-0732 Phone: (270) 687-8650 planning, zoning, subdivision, addresses, street access (270) 687-8665 building plan review and building/ electrical permits (270) 687-8656 housing improvement programs Hours: 8 AM to 4:30 PM

Services: County wide Planning: Zoning status & changes; zoning development plan approval; land subdivision plat approval; conditional use permits; variances; major street access approval; street address assignments; FEMA flood insurance rate maps available for public inspection. County wide building/electrical (excluding city of Whitesville): Plan review; building and electrical permits and inspections; zoning administration. City of Owensboro Community Development: CDBG administration; housing improvement programs; property maintenance inspections. Conditions/ Requirements to obtain service: Submission of appropriate application form and fee for items involving review and approval; requests for basic information may be answered immediately. Refer to OMPC Form 311 for a flowchart that summarizes the building approval process. This form advises you, prior to submission of building plans, to check whether the current zoning is appropriate for the intended use or a zoning change is needed, whether a lot division or consolidation is necessary, and whether a conditional use permit or variance is required for the proposed building project. Fee(s) required to obtain service: Refer to OMPC Form 107 for filing fees for planning/zoning items, which vary by application type. Refer to OMPC forms 303 and 323 for building/electrical fees, which vary by project type and size.

Note: Web access to OMPC forms is available at

State Licenses and Permits

The One-Stop Business Licensing Program site offered by the state of Kentucky provides a comprehensive list of licenses and permits based on the type of business that you will be starting.

Click here to be taken directly to the state’s One-Stop site.