SUMMARY: The Greater Owensboro Economic Development Corporation is seeking an experienced economic development professional to lead our business retention and expansion (BRE) and workforce development efforts. We seek an energetic individual who is passionate about building communities.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to: 1) The implementation of existing BRE objectives as described in the GOEDC Strategic Plan; 2) Leadership of GOEDC’s numerous existing workforce development efforts and, if appropriate, creation of new efforts, while maintaining close coordination and relationships with other workforce development and educational leaders throughout the region; and 3) Development and implementation of new BRE programs throughout the Greater Owensboro region.
Ideal candidates should possess a passion for the community, be detail-oriented, a self-starter, technology savvy, adhere to strict quality standards and can manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate must be comfortable in complex problem-solving scenarios, comfortable in front of a crowd, and demonstrate the ability to build consensus. A keen understanding of business, empathy for existing businesses, vigilance for the needs of individual businesses, an outstanding ability to build relationships built on mutual trust and an impeccable reputation for maintaining confidentiality are important to this position.
- Build and maintain relationships with local business and industrial clients, assisting in expansion and retention projects.
- Assist expanding companies in identifying and navigating various economic development incentive programs to facilitate job creation and private capital investment in the community.
- Represent GOEDC at various marketing/recruitment events.
- Facilitate introductions with State officials, City and County government staff, post-secondary education institutions and other stakeholders to link companies with resources and services.
- Coordinate Daviess County industry tours and roundtable discussions.
- Meet regularly with local workforce development partners including Workforce
- Solutions, the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce, Green River Area Development District, Owensboro Community Technical College and the other post-secondary educational institutions in the community, and local secondary school districts to facilitate collaboration and the development of solution-based strategies that address workforce pipeline, incumbent worker training needs, and talent recruitment.
- Actively engage community and workforce partners to promote higher education attainment as an economic and community development priority.
- Proactively engage in regular company visits—monitor corporate activities, collect and collate industry data, and work to identify potential issues which may impede local firms’ success. Document and track data in GOEDC’s Salesforce database and develop reports on challenges and/or opportunities.
- Develop new strategies and programs to help retain and grow local firms.
- All other duties assigned by President/CEO.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year university or college.
- A minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience in economic development or within a Chamber of Commerce, business, or educational institution. Experience in Business Retention and Expansion activities is preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of local industry, the economy, and the community.
- Must have the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Ability to work with and meet deadlines.
- Ability to make judgements serving the organization’s and community’s best interest.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with professional experience.
No later than April 5, 2019, please submit resume and cover letter to the Greater Owensboro Economic Development Corporation at 200 East Third Street, Owensboro, Kentucky, 42303, or email@example.com.